Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Elizabeth's Letters


This was my favorite read for this week. Actually it may have been my favorite work yet. Her letters and Response ot the parliament was hilarious. She was one feisty lady. She certainly said what she was thinking. I guess it would have been easier for her to do this than a lower class woman, but it was still remarkable for this time period. She felt that she would marry when and if she felt like it. She sure put them in their place. I would love to have been there to see the reaction to her letters when they reached parliament. The looks on the men's faces would have been priceless! Also, the end note of how it took the mesenger three drafts in order to word her letter delicately enough to read it aloud was so funny. She must have been so furious when she initially recieved their letters trying to hurrying her to marry. This was my favorite because I was continually laughing at her comments throuought the letter about how abrupt and uncuth she was. Loved it. 4 stars****

2 Comments:

Blogger Abby said...

I agree. This was one of the most enjoyable reads so far. I like to see women standing up for themselves. I like to see anyone stand up for his/herself but women in particular in that time period because it was so difficult.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

"Feisty" is a great adjective to use when describing Elizabeth. Considering the restraints imposed on women during this time period, the content of her speech is quite remarkable.

I think that we find it hard to understand how much pressure there really was on her to produce an heir, yet she stuck to her principles and did not choose to wed. As stated by HH in her post, Elizabeth had a job to do and she did it her way. Even more remarkably, while doing this job she kept the state out of her bedroom - something the politicians of today should consider doing, staying out of people's bedrooms.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home