Friday, October 14, 2005

Mary Wroth and Amelia Lanyer

Well, I haven't blogged in a while. So, I'm going to try to catch up on a few things with this blog. First of all, in reading Amelia Lanyer's salve deus rex Judeorum, I was very bored, mostly because it was a long read, but I did enjoy, To All vertuous Ladies in General. It was a little lighter, partly I suppose because it was a poem for patraonage. But it was still a mice poem ot read. I have studied amelia Lanyer before and read her "The description of cooke-ham", which I really enjoyed. This poem is about an escape to an ideal world. although also proably a patronage poem To Lady Margaret and Cooke-ham, it was still sort of a warm and fuzzy place to go.It seems like a very welcoming place that one would like to go and visit. I found myself at the end of the poem, thinking this. Everything is beautiful and everything even in nature is inviting. It is an ideal of course, but it doesn't sound like too bad a place to go. I'd much rather venture there than the Blazing world of Maragaret Cavendish.

Mary Wroth's Pamphilius & Amphilanthus wax very long. I found it sad and pathetic that she is still pining over this man and upset that he still see other women. "He's just not that into you!" Let it go. This was sort of an annoying poem, looking back. She was a woman writer, which was making a huge leap for women and she is writing about pining over a man who is still sleeping with other women. At least at the end of the poem, she gives up on romantic love with this man. Even though this sonnet sequence was somewhat perturbing to me, I did like the line, "he should aspire to be more like me". this is flipping the gender roles of the time. Men were constantly boasting about how women were inferior to men. this changes things around by her saying that men should be a little more like women. (at least with monogamy). Bravo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home