Friday, October 14, 2005

Margaret Cavendish and Catherine Philips

Maragaret Cavendish. wow. I was completely shocked by Blazing World and had to stop and make sure that I was actually reading what I waas reading and hadin't fallen asleep and into some crazy dream. I don't think that it was an ideal world for her, but I think she has just made up this kind of world in her head to try to find somepalce that may accept her more than the one that she lived in. She really is fascinated with the science of things. It must have been a struggle everyday for her not being taken seriously in the subjects that she urned to learn about. It sounds so frustrating. Well, she had obviously found something creative to do with her time. Nature's cook was another interesting one. She sure was one unique individual. The thought of death being a woman was interesting as I've never seen this before. Even thinking about the skeletal version with the cloke always seems to have male attributes.
She is reversing thr gender roles, although I didn't exactly know why she'd want death as a woman. Maybe it would be more kind, or perhaps it is to empower women. I dont' know. But this poem was very graphic and while reading, I found myself looking at the words saying ewww alot. But at least it was an interesting read

1 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Your comment about death being a female is interesting. I had not thought about it before but you are right, we usually think of death as a male figure, when in fact, death is pretty asexual.

The pics on this blog go great with the poem. Nice job.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home