Thursday, November 03, 2005

Manley's Rivella


Well, what can I say about this one? I can't really say that I enjoyed it as there were so many characters, it made it hard to follow sometimes. I didn't enjoy the read, but it was really interesting that she was her own biographer. The way that she tells the story of her own life is really different as she tells it through the gossiping mouths of two men. Thsi in itself is a way to tell people not to take themselves or gossip so seriously. I was also a way of her being somewhat objective of herself. She is able to say things about herself that she may not say if she was telling this story in her own narrative. This also makes it somewhat onesided. This was she can distort some of her life's facts to work to her advantage. Certainly if someone had a shady reputation, this was a way of leaving her legacy without leaving behind her diginity. I guess it's another one of those works that are just interesting because they . I thought that her life was actually more intersting than the piece itself. she seems to make excuses for herself but is also saying that she is the only person of her sex that knows how to live. Maybe she is just a bit superficial or perhaps jsut self-concious. I can't quite figure out which. All of her descriptions of herself counter act each other. Maybe she just thinks that looks aren't everything. She is an interesting lady though. I find it funny how if other authors wanted to be considered legitimate and be respected that they had to disassociate themselves with Manley, Haywood and Behn. the guilt by association. I guess to a certain degree it is like that still. If someone is friends with a person who is a not well liked, than people assume you have the same views. As confusing as this was to read with all the characters and long sentences, it was still worth reading, if not for the innovative narrative alone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home