Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Polwheele and Pope

Let's start with Pope. Did anyone else feel the urge to smack something while reading this. the scibbling woman eh? huh. Eliza Haywood as the prize of a pissing contest. Well, I guess we have to give him props for originality. He bashes woman writers but never really says anything about their actual works. That sounds life the work of a coward who is not comfortable with his sexuality enough to have a woman in the buiness of writing. I'll stop there. I found it intersting how Polwheele is completely against anything sexual but yet his writing is very sensual. He speaks of the unsexed female. oh no!! gasp. I find it amusing how Wollstonecraft is such a sore spot for him. Perhaps because of her radical views and her intelligent works. He says that it's not that he feels that women shouldn't write but that there should be clear restrictions. But are there restrictions for men?.. of course not. Women should write about housekeeping and cooking and leave the science, political and social matters to the men. Perhaps instead of writing about other writers, he should have actually written something of some intelligence himself. He says that "the crimsoning blush of modesty, will be always more attractive, than the sparkle of confident intelligence" He gives praise to those female writers who choose to set a good example of feminine propriety and decorum but not those who may be "unchaste" such as wollstonecraft or Behn. .

1 Comments:

Blogger ebeyea said...

Sometimes reading the blogs is just a joy, I LOVED reading this Deanna. I agree with you about Pope, I find it so interesting the male criticism of female writers. I quotted the handout that Dr. Jones gave us for my paper and when I did I was shocked what they said and what I thought about what they said. To me, it just makes so little sense. That is why I loved reading "Known scribbling women" this week because the criticism quotted were based on her work and not her, it was so nice to see. I really LOVED that book, it was refreshing and it was fun.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home